Our IR-Only cameras include an adjustment to the Auto Focus so
that the camera focuses in the infrared region.
The Canon 5D MK III has a full-frame sensor that allows the
photoreceptors to gather more photons than the smaller sensors in other cameras.
Because of this, the 5D MK II has exceptional infrared and ultraviolet
performance. If you need to gather has much light as possible, we
recommend the 5DMK II.
Please note that the anti-dust system is disabled on our
conversions. Live View will work correctly.
Modification will void your warranty.
We can modify your Canon 5D MK III for a $450 fee + return
shipping & handling ($20 for UPS ground insured within continental USA).
Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex, camera
CF Cards (Type I); Compatible with UDMA CF cards; SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory
Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35mm Full-frame)
Canon EF Lenses (excluding EF-S Lenses)
Canon EF mount
High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
Effective pixels: Approx. 22.3 megapixels
6.25 ?m square
Total pixels: 23.4 megapixels
3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
RGB primary color filters
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
?Automatic Sensor Cleaning
?Removes dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass.
?Self-cleaning executed automatically when power is turned on or off. Manual
execution also possible.
?Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
?The coordinates of the dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking
glass are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
?The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided
software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG,
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: Linear PCM)
(1) Large: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
(2) Medium: Approx. 9.80 Megapixels (3840 x 2560)
(3) S1 (Small 1): Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920)
(4) S2 (Small 2): Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
(5) S3 (Small 3): Approx. 350,000 Pixels (720 x 480)
(6) RAW: Approx. 22.10 Megapixels (5760 x 3840)
(7) M-RAW: Approx. 10.50 Megapixels (3960 x 2640)
(8) S-RAW: Approx. 5.50 Megapixels (2880 x 1920) Exact file sizes depend on the
subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
* Records to either the CF card or SD card.
2. Auto switch card
* When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card
3. Record separately
* The CF card and SD card record the same image at a different image recording
quality (L, M, S1, S2, S3, RAW, M-RAW, S-RAW)
4. Record to multiple
* Both the CF card and SD card record the same image at the same image recording
quality. (Also applies to RAW+JPEG, M+JPEG, and SRAW+JPEG)
Images recorded in a card can be copied to the other card
The following three types of file numbers can be set:
(1) Continuous numbering
* The continuous numbering of captured images will continue even after you
replace the camera's card. (The numbering continues even when the folder
(2) Auto reset
* When you replace the camera's card, the numbering will be reset to start from
0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from
the last recorded image in the card.
(3) Manual reset
* Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
+ JPEG Simultaneous Recording
The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW
and eight JPEG recording quality settings.
Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined
* Scene Intelligent Auto will set [Auto] automatically.
* [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3]
(1) Auto (AWB)
(5) Tungsten light
(6) White fluorescent light
(8) Custom (Custom WB)
(9) Color temperature
* With an EX-series Speedlite having the color temperature information
transmission feature, the color temperature setting changes to match the color
temperature when the flash is fired. Set to approx. 6000K if the flash unit does
not have the color temperature communication feature.
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Blue/amber bias: ?9 levels
? Magenta/green bias: ?9 levels
* Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.
Temperature Information Transmission
Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally (At approx. 21mm eyepoint)
Approx. 0.71x / Angle of view 34.1? (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1 (dpt))
Approx. 21mm (At -1m-1 from
the eyepiece lens center)
-3.0 to +1.0m-1 (diopter)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator
Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level,
Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye
Highlight tone priority (D+), maximum burst (2-digit display), card information
Grid, electronic level
Displayed if any of the following is set: Monochrome, white balance correction,
One-touch recording quality switch, expanded ISO speed, or spot metering.
Of Field Preview
Enabled with Depth-of-field preview button
TTL secondary image - registration, phase detection
61-point (up to 41 cross-type points)
* One to five cross-type AF points at f/2.8, 10 to 20 cross-type AF points at
f/4, and 15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6. (The number of cross-type AF
points will differ depending on the lens.)
EV -2 - 18 (at 73?F/23?C and ISO 100)
?Predictive AI Servo AF
-For automatic AF point selection, the AF point to start the
AI Servo AF operation can be selected.
-For automatic AF point selection, the active AF point can be
?AI Focus AF
-(Switches between One-Shot AF and AI SERVO AF automatically)
-Automatically set in A+ Auto Mode
(2) Manual focus (MF)
1. Single-point AF (Manual selection)
2. Auto selection 61-Point AF
3. Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection)
4. AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: Up, down, left, and right)
5. AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points)
6. Zone AF (Manual zone selection)
AF Point Display
Displayed in viewfinder with transparent LCD and on LCD panel
AF Point Indicator
AF area used in horizontal/vertical (grip up or down) shooting and the
manually-selected AF point position can be set separately
With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite, AF-assist beam is emitted automatically when
(3) IR AF assist beam only
* No AF-assist beam with flash bursts.
Max. aperture TTL metering with 63-zone SPC with the following selectable modes:
(1) Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
(2) Partial metering (center, approx. 7.2% of viewfinder)
(3) Spot metering (center, approx. 1.5% of viewfinder)
?AF point-linked spot metering not provided.
(4) Center-weighted average metering
a. The selectable metering modes can be limited with a Custom Function.
EV 1-20 (at 73?F / 23?C with 50mm f/1.4 lens at ISO 100)
(1) Scene Intelligent Auto
(2) Program AE (shiftable)
(3) Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(4) Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible)
(5) Manual exposure
* The metering mode can be specified with a Custom Function.
(7) E-TTL II autoflash program AE
* Evaluative metering, Averaged metering
fill flash will result in overexposure, minimum ISO 100 is set.
ISO 100-25600 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
?ISO speed expansion possible to ISO 50, 51200, and 102400.
?For [Highlight tone priority], the settable ISO speed range will be 200-25600.
?ISO speed safety shift possible with Custom Function.
∗For bounce flash, ISO 400-1600 is set automatically depending on the
Speed upper and lower limits:
Manual setting range
ISO speed expansion is set with this option.
Auto ISO range
ISO speed expansion not settable.
speed and automatic ISO speed control in P and Av Modes:
the P and Av shooting modes with Auto ISO set, the ISO speed is set
automatically so that a shutter speed slower than the one set with [Minimum
shutter speed] (1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 0"5, 1") is
Manual: ?5 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
AEB: ?3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments
* Indicated up to ?3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
(1) Auto AE lock
?In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when
focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
?With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.)
Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, focal-plane shutter with all speeds
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb (Total shutter speed range. Available range varies by
X-sync at 1/200 sec.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. delay
1) During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure:
- Approx. 0.059 sec. (With the shutter-release time lag is shortened with the
Custom Function, it will be approx. 0.036 sec.)
2) Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.2
- Time lag with the aperture stopped down by 3 stops or less. Excludes AF
E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
to Match Focal Length
?3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
The camera can set the following with Speedlite 600EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II,
320EX, 270EX II, or 270EX:
(1) External flash control
* Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not possible with 270EX II/270EX), flash
exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash (not possible with
430EX II/ 270EX), and clear settings.
* With the Speedlite 600EX-RT, radio wireless control is possible.
(2) Flash Custom Function setting
Provided (no polarity)
Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting and
Self-timer (10 sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote
High-speed: Maximum approx. 6 shots/sec.
Low-speed: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.
Silent continuous shooting: Maximum approx. 3 shots/sec.
?JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 65 shots (approx. 16270 shots)
?RAW: Approx. 13 shots (approx. 18 shots)
?RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 7 shots (approx. 7 shots)
*Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture
Style) and a 8 GB card.
*Figures in parentheses apply to an UDMA mode 7, 128 GB card based on Canon's
MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Variable (averaged) bit rate
1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 1280 x 720 and 640 x 480
[1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
[1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
[640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
Based on 8GB Card:
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min (235 MB/min.)
25 fps ALL-I: 11 min (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.)
24 fps ALL-I: 11 min. (685 MB/min.) / IPB: 32 min. (235 MB/min.)
[1280 x 720]
60 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.)
50 fps ALL-I: 12 min. (610 MB/min.) / IPB: 37 min. (205 MB/min.)
[640 x 480]
30 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.)
25 fps IPB: 97 min. (78 MB/min.)
* If the recording time reaches 29 min. 59 sec., the movie shooting stops
* Movie shooting does not stop when the file size reaches 4GB.
Same as focusing with Live View shooting
* During movie shooting or if movie cropping has been set, the image cannot be
magnified for manual focusing.
?P, Av, and Bulb: Automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800, expandable to H
(equivalent to ISO 25600)
?A+ and Tv: Automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800
?M: Auto ISO (automatically set within ISO 100 - 12800), ISO 100 - 12800 set
manually (in 1/3- or whole-stop increments), expandable to H (equivalent to ISO
* If Highlight tone priority is set to enable, the settable ISO speed range will
be ISO 200 - 12800.
(1) Program AE for movie shooting
* For shooting modes other than manual exposure and bulb.
* Shutter speed (1/30 - 1/4000 sec., signal accumulation time), aperture, and
ISO speed automatically set.
(2) Manual exposure
* For manual exposure.
* Shutter speed (signal accumulation time), aperture, and ISO speed
(auto/manual) manually set. The shutter speed (signal accumulation time) is
limited to 1/4000 sec. at the maximum and to 1/30 sec. at the minimum for
24/25/30 fps or 1/60 sec. or higher for 50/60 fps.
Up to ?3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
* For movies, even if exposure compensation has been set beyond ?3 stops,
exposure compensation up to only ?3 stops will be applied.
* For still photos, exposure compensation up to ?5 stops can be applied.
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
Approx. 1.04 million dots
Approx. 170? vertically and horizontally
Auto: Brightness adjusted automatically by the light sensor
* Adjustable to one of three levels: Darker, Standard, Brighter
Manual: Adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
Clear View LCD II
* Glass surface has an anti-reflective AR coating.
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian,
Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian,
Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean,